4-H District Activity Day (DAD)
District Activity Day
District Activity Day (DAD) is a 4-H Presentation public speaking competition for youth to present information on the topic of their choice.
4-H Presentations are a huge part of North Carolina 4-H. It is one of the most successful way to help a young person learn how to do a public speech. It focuses on members teaching others what they know about a particular project/subject matter. They are sometimes called demonstrations or illustrated talk or a formal speech.
The speech/presentation should be between 5 and 12 minutes. District winners compete at the state level. State winners in sponsored categories receive cash awards! In specific categories, the State-winning seniors may go on to compete at the National level.
Virtual Presentations Due to County office by
May 20, 2021
- Hold your phone or table horizontal (long ways and NOT up and down).
- Make certain that you are in good light.
- Try to use a tripod, table or something to keep your device steady.
- Stand in front of a simple background ( a plain white or black sheet on the wall may work).
- Don’t have the camera right up on you. Have it a few feet away.
- Don’t Zoom in. If you need to, move your camera closer instead of zooming.
- Test your audio. Can you wear a set of earbuds with a microphone to improve your audio? Watch for background noises.
Important 2021 Dates
March 9 Presentation meeting **Will be held virtually on Zoom**
April 8 DAD Work Day **Will be held virtually on Zoom**
April 29 DAD Work Day **Will be held virtually on Zoom**
May 6 DAD Work Day at Office
May 20 *Mandatory turn in Videos*
May 21 County Activity day (present videos to county for judging)
June 18 Outdoor cookery in Camden County
July 12 Videos Due to State (agent will submit)
Benefits of 4-H Presentations
Teaches life skills. Increase public speaking skills. Increase self-confidence. Increase knowledge & interest in a certain subject matter.
Will help you in the long run with:
– Other clubs & projects
– College/post-secondary education
– Careers Giving a presentation is a good learning experience.
You can choose a topic from any project you have taken in 4-H or currently doing. The topic should be something you enjoy, are interested in and can be presented easily in 5 to 15 minutes. 4-Hers who do a presentation develop self-confidence, the ability to speak in front of an audience and the ability to think ahead. In the following outline you will discover pointers and tips on doing a 4-H presentation.