4-H Poultry Project Entries Open!
The 2020 poultry project will have a different feel this year due to our COVID-19 precautions. Initially, our program will begin through a virtual format with the hopes to gradually transition to in-person meetings with our youth and end with a live show through an approved, safe format in October!
2020 Rules & Regulations
- Participants must be between the ages of 5 – 18 as of January 1, 2020, and enroll in or be a current participant in Northampton County 4-H.
- All participants are expected to compete in the virtual Avian Bowl in July and in the virtual Poultry Judging Contest in August through NC State (specific contest dates to be determined). Participants will be given access to online study tools and games to learn about breeds, care, and terminology of poultry needed to successfully compete. These sessions will be posted on Mondays and may be completed at your own pace during the week.
- Participants must choose which category they will enter to complete their project:
- Baby Chick Project – Participants will receive two chicks to raise and care for under the supervision of their parents/guardians to exhibit on October 8, 2020, and complete a record book on their project by show day.
- Over the Fence Project – Participants will work with a mature bird already under their care to exhibit on October 8, 2020, and complete a record book on their project due by show day.
- Poster Project – Participants will complete a poster on their favorite topic learned to present on October 8, 2020. Participants will not have live birds to work with.
- Entry fees are $10 per child, checks only payable to Northampton County Program Fund no later than June 30, 2020.
- Online Entries are due no later than noon on May 29, 2020. (baby chicks are anticipated to be ready for pick-up no later than June 22)
Please review the Northampton County 4-H Poultry Program Expectations and Parental Permission Form and check the box that you understand and agree to these expectations on the Online Entry form to participate.
What is Avian Bowl? It is a team quiz event that tests participants’ knowledge of a wide range of avian topics (think chicken quiz bowl!)
What is Poultry Judging? It is an event that allows participants to show off their mastery of poultry knowledge by examining hens, poultry cuts, and eggs.
Please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Beth at the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Northampton County office at (252) 534-2711 or email@example.com any questions!